Thursday, September 01, 2011

Something amazing and scary has happened to me...

I have found my life's calling as far as photography is concerned... Photojournalism. I walked into my Documentary Photography class and instantly fell in love. I never want the class to end.

Susan Cohen is my instructor. I have to admit, I feel intimidated by her. Yet, I can't help but want her to teach me and show me all that she knows about the world of photojournalism. I know that I belong in THAT world. Every day after class I reflect back on what we have talked about and I feel it in my bones that it is right.

I love to take beautiful photographs and I think that I do a pretty good job. I know that I am artistic and that I have vision. But at the end of the day whenever there is something that might be newsworthy in any shape or form I am there with my camera. Eric can attest to that! He hates it when I walk down the street at 1 am with my camera toward the flashing lights. And in this neighborhood it happens more times than not.

Anyway, I am determined. I know that I am shy and like to hide out in the back but I think that maybe sometimes that works to my advantage. And maybe it works against me. All that I really know is that I want to be out there photographing things that people turn a blind eye to. I want to photograph the world and all the people/places/animals/things in it!

The scariest part is getting out there and just doing it...




4 comments:

Anita said...

How did I know this would touch your heart. You are an amazing woman. I can't wait to see what is hidden in there.

Mrs. Dirty Hair said...

I am so glad that you found a class that has opened you up to your own potential! You will be a success with photo journalism!

Jessie said...

I love photojournalism! It's how I got my start. I try hard to incorporate a journalistic "storytelling" side into all my photo shoots. After all, isn't that what photography is, telling a story?

Adrian Stearns said...

Juanita, I'm so ecstatic that you have found something you are so passionate about. You really have come a long way my friend & you are such an inspiration. Keep doin' what you're doin' & I know your dreams will come true. Love ya tons! <3