Friday, June 24, 2011

The Salt Flats

I don't mean to brag but I think that these photos are lovely. They turned out just how I envisioned them... Dramatic, dark and yet beautiful! It was a LONG day and we both have the sunburns to prove it! But it was so worth it! I loved working this shoot and I loved that I brought to life an idea that has been stuck with me for months! There are SOOO many photos to choose from! I love them all!

And OMG! Hayley will forever be one of my best friends and my number 1 model! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful friend. We had such a blast shooting this! And afterwards we went to Wendover and played the penny slots! I won 10 cents! Haha















Anyway, after all this, there is still that internal struggle, "Am I good enough?". I think of my friend Jennifer and how perfect and lovely her photos are. And even though I know that we have two totally different styles (we are from different planets!) I can't help but wonder what it would be like to see like she does and shoot like she does. I actually feel this way about all my photographer friends. I have so many talented and amazing friends.

Whatever, that is not the point. The point is that you do what you love with the support of the ones that you love and suddenly EVERYTHING is possible....

I am proud of this shoot no matter what!

6 comments:

Anita said...

WOW!So beautiful and dark. I love your photos and your friend Hayley is gorgeous!

Jennifer Palmer said...

These are great pictures. I love them, I'm jealous of them!! But really, I'm flattered that you think that about me. But don't doubt yourself!! Don't worry about taking yourself so seriously! Most of the time, I just wing it and try and have fun. I do doubt myself as well, but I don't dwell on it. I let the thought come, and then I think about the good things I like about my photo's. I purposefully do this so that I don't get down on myself. I think wow, so and so's pictures are so great and mine suck...then I think, but not really. I really like this about my picture, and my shoot. This is what I don't like, and what I want to improve.

Most of all, I just try and have fun. I've read this in several articles and blog posts written by photographers. Don't compare yourself to anyone. You are the only Juanita who is a photographer. No one shoots like you. Just remember that. You are an original, no one thinks or see's the way you do. Just like no one thinks the way I do. I'm the only Jennifer Palmer. And so I'm the only one that can do what I can do. You're the only one who can do what you do.

Allison said...

These are breathtaking!

I actually haven't done much photography (portraits, especially) lately because I get so intimidated by other photographers I follow, which are mostly wedding photogs and I don't even want to DO that, so it's strange! Also I put it off because I don't know the technical aspects and get discouraged when people ask me about it. But I'm ready to ignore all that and just get back to creating! You've really inspired me.

Jessie said...

You should be proud, these are fantastic! I love dramatic black and white photographs, and these are just perfect.

Barb Elder said...

I love this shot. You did an amazing job! The lighting is perfect and the model beautiful!!

Comarsh Crew said...

Wow Juanita... these are great pictures. You have such a talent!